3D printers and printing

General chat about anything you like
Bear

3D printers and printing

Postby Bear » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:25 pm

I’ve had a few people ask me about my 3D printing experience so I thought I start a topic on it.

I don’t intend this to be a guide as such as I’m no expert and only had printer for 4-5 months now so still learning, but more an open ask questions for people thinking about entering the world of 3D printing.

So to kick off.

Experience in CAD/3D CAD – None
Experience 3D printers - None
3D software used – FreeCAD
Printer – Flashforge Finder
Materials experience – PLA, Ninjaflex

Norfolk Boy

Re: 3D printers and printing

Postby Norfolk Boy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi Bear. I'd say you have done remarkably well, especially considering your complete lack of experience in any form of cad operation!
I do have AutoCAD experience and some of Solidworks, indeed, I did try a crack version of Solidworks but it threw me out after a month, hey ho! So, I tried Freecad but found the workbench system confusing and unnecessary and then I went to 123design which I have found to be much more simple and the video tutorials are extremely good and helpful. My nephew has just bought a 3D printer and has found 123design easy to learn, since his last cad experience was at college more than 20 years ago.

Anyway, between us we are off and running because I'm constructing a 1-16 model of a Caterpillar D8 bull dozer and need various parts to convert a Bruder toy. It will be rc controlled but no pictures are available yet because its all a bit of a wreck at the moment.

Keep up the good work and like you, to anyone else out there I will try to answer questions as my experience grows.

Norfolk Boy.
Work.... a constant interruption in my pursuit of leisure :AG ?

Bear

Postby Bear » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi Norfolk Boy,

I tried 123design, after FreeCAD and found it quicker to pick but frustrating as couldn't figure out things I could do in FreeCAD.

BUt looking forward to the D8 build, something I want to try if I get time.

dus
Site Admin

Postby dus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Awesome write up Ian hope it will help others out with the thought of 3D printing
I haven`t lost my marbles they on EVIL BAY
Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now
heaven didnt want me hell was afraid id take it over

Norfolk Boy

Postby Norfolk Boy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks Dus, I'm happy to help in any way and 3D can be quite daunting at first but I figure its a really good way of scratch building once you get the hang of the actual drawing part. You can literally make anything!

Ian

Bear

Postby Bear » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:28 pm

I bought another 3D printer this week :?

This time went for a Wanhao D5S Mini, bigger build area print ABS (with additional heated plate), faster build, etc.

First impression :DO why, what have I done. Finding the printer a bit more challenging to use out of the box than my flashforge unit.

So now relearning the basics to get a good print result, hopefully not too long. I will keep you updated with how I get on.

dus
Site Admin

Postby dus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi Ian does the boss know you been buying more toys lol
I haven`t lost my marbles they on EVIL BAY
Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now
heaven didnt want me hell was afraid id take it over

Norfolk Boy

Postby Norfolk Boy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:27 am

Hi Bear.
My nephew, who is a wiz with anything (can't think where he gets it from) bought a cheap Chinese printer and inline with what the reviews said, has spent time improving/modifying it to get what is now a pretty good print. He's had to buy new pulleys for the timing belts because the originals were slightly oval, better bearings for the slides etc. and has re-written some of the firmware to suit. So I guess its a lesson for anyone looking to get into it. If you're thinking of buying a printer, read the reviews and read again before deciding. Plus, it may be better to buy from a company who has a good, English speaking help and support structure. As an aside, I am now using Fusion 360 as the design system and it is similar to 123Design but more accurate. So if you're new to the game and with no experience, I would suggest starting with 123Desing and then generating to fusion 360.

Ian (Norfolk Boy)

Bear

Postby Bear » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:27 pm

dus wrote:Hi Ian does the boss know you been buying more toys lol

I couldn't hide as she took delivery :oops:

She wasn't happy but I explained I need it for my business, and my last one paid for itself in 3 months.

Ian

Bear

Postby Bear » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:33 pm

Norfolk Boy wrote:Hi Bear.
My nephew, who is a wiz with anything (can't think where he gets it from) bought a cheap Chinese printer and inline with what the reviews said, has spent time improving/modifying it to get what is now a pretty good print. He's had to buy new pulleys for the timing belts because the originals were slightly oval, better bearings for the slides etc. and has re-written some of the firmware to suit. So I guess its a lesson for anyone looking to get into it. If you're thinking of buying a printer, read the reviews and read again before deciding. Plus, it may be better to buy from a company who has a good, English speaking help and support structure. As an aside, I am now using Fusion 360 as the design system and it is similar to 123Design but more accurate. So if you're new to the game and with no experience, I would suggest starting with 123Desing and then generating to fusion 360.

Ian (Norfolk Boy)

Totally agree, unless you have endless time to research and modify the printer and the learning curve etc best stick with a easy friendly unit to start with.

Funny you mention fusion 360, I was looking at that for the Ipad this afternoon. Might give it go, I'm off on holiday soon so beats reading a book :?

Ian.

Return to “Anything else”