Volvo FH12 revamp

Chat about and show your truck
Bear

Volvo FH12 revamp

Postby Bear » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:43 pm

I bought this truck last year second hand, my first Tamiya truck it came ready made with MFU 03, trailer and lighting kit and radio.

It needed a bit of TLC and had a few issues but ran, although myself and a Tamiya truck friend couldn’t get the lights to work from the controller.

I quickly swapped the FM Futaba radio for a Planet T5 and still couldn’t get the lights to operate from the controller. Then swapped out the electronics for an IBU2 Truck control board.

This board gives me more flexibility and allowed me to turn down the power to the drive motor, but even so it was too fast I’m use to driving tanks around and this was like a racing car! So next job was a 80T motor to tone down the speed.

Next issue was the battery, the 2000mah battery was past it’s best only giving a really short run time. Since I use LiPo batteries in my tanks and the IBU2 Truck has built in LiPo monitoring it was a logical step, although some serious hacking away the battery container was needed to fit in a 5000mah soft-skin.

Steering! It was shocking but appeared to be generic issue with the Tamiya kits. So I replaced the rod ball ends for metal ball bearing ones and replaced the actual steering bits to a 3rd party version which vastly improved the steering

Now I was getting somewhere, could control the truck had controllable speed could steer finally and could drive for more than 10 minutes. Wrong for some reason the truck would not grip anything less than 1% flat would mean one wheel stop turning and the other drive wheel spinning. I know I’m use to all terrain tanks but come on this should be able to drive on more than laminated floor! Anyway one of my tank mates told me about some high viscoty differential grease basically thick grease which partly locks the differential but once enough force applied the differential works. So bought some and fitted to the rear differential along with some ball bearings.

And that is how it sat for a good few month whilst I built an excavator. Excavator finished it was time to finish the Volvo, next on the list was paint job. I never really liked the blue and the decals the previous owner added where messy. So into the paint shop the parts went.

Before the primer, I decided this wound be a low loader tractor unit so removed the roof spoiler and filled the holes

Decided to use rattle cans to paint it as this worked well for my excavator. Decided to go for red and after searching lots of automotive paints I decided VW Flash Red to be nice enough

Initially started painting in the garage, however due to the weather (cold and or damp) the colour came out more pink.

So had to sneak it into the kitchen one evening when the Mrs was out with friends.

Bit of shine now

I did plan to have clear windows, hence the driver but clear windows seem non existing and afterwards I realised probably because the speaker is obviously on show!

I even made some little atlas, papers and mags for the dash board.

Bought a white reflective chevron sticker for the front bumper

I’m still tidying up the paint work and adding more lacquer clear coats for the extra shine, but here’s a quick picture

Since putting the bumper back on I noticed the previous owner had assembled the lights wrong. One side has white next to grill and orange on outside other side it’s other way round, so will have to find out which is correct and swap the LED’s around.

Added some lights behind the front grill so that will be added when painting is complete, which is taking for ever with the weather!

Also awaiting delivery of a few rotating beacons for the roof.

Hopefully will have it complete and reassembled soon as starting low loader build at Christmas break time.

TamiyaKen
Site Admin

Re: Volvo FH12 revamp

Postby TamiyaKen » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:11 pm

Very nice job you are making there Mr Bear. :TU

I particularly like the steering bearings as it will certainly improve that department. It is a pity about the windows being blacked out as I had the same problem. Mine is now stripped for other builds but I watch with interest how yours comes along. Will the trailer be tailored for your heavy machines ?

Cheers

ken

Bear

Postby Bear » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Ken,

Yeah downer about the the windows but would involve buying interior and windows, moving speaker keeping the interior wiring tidy ect so probably for the best.

Trailer bought myself Carson low loader as a Christmas gift to myself as I've been too naughty for Santa to bring :lol:

Also rotating beacons arrived today so can crack on with them. Just the slow painting holding me back now.

Thinking I might put some checker plate across the back deck, so if anyone's got a source to buy some something close to scale I'm listening.

Ian.

TamiyaKen
Site Admin

Postby TamiyaKen » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:01 pm

Please be careful with the 'wiring up' of the beacons. They are very prone to over voltage destroying them. (ask me how I know !) If you drive them direct from a receiver getting it's voltage from a Tamiya speed controller then the voltage must be BELOW 6 volts. Some speed controllers run over this voltage. It's not much, but it's enough to blow them apart

Cheers

ken

Bear

Postby Bear » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi Ken

Thanks for the warning. The IBU2 Truck puts out 5v to the receiver so hopefully enough safety buffer.

Right progress update.

Like I said been struggling with the paint and the cold weather, so overall I'm not happy with the paint finish at the moment but until warmer times it stay that way and on with putting it all back together.

Grill and lights

And the voodoo magic which makes the flashing

Roof lights

Reassembled

Quick video

Bear

Postby Bear » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 am

Few more little bits arrived in the post.

Nice CNC aluminum wheels

Most places only seem to offer wide front wheels, but found some normal width ones. :TU

All terrain tyres

Quick release for the cab

Rear tyres glued on with some gorilla rubber glue.

Note all those little bolts to remove and add to get to the axle nut

Front fitted

Rears

Cab release

daddycool75

Postby daddycool75 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Ian,

I Found this link on another forum clear windows for the Volvo,

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Scheibenset-KLAR ... _q-iML6C_w

Cheers

Jamie